Wednesday, February 17, 2016

February 16, 2016

hello familia!

Hello from the beautiful land of Charlotte, North Carolina!
How is everyone? First and foremost, I have to apologize for not emailing you yesterday. I totally forgot to tell y'all that my preparation day was getting changed due to President's day. Usually it gets switched to a Tuesday if there is a holiday on a Monday. My bad.
So sorry! I figured since y'all were at the cabin, you wouldn't even get my email anyways. Hopefully I didn't worry you mama. :) And second, thank you soooo much for the Valentine package. Mom, you're way too good. Definitely the BEST missionary mom out there. And I will argue with anyone too. You're just way too good. So over the top and I just felt so spoiled and special. Thank you thank you thank you! And please tell the Meadow wood RS thanks as well. Their card made me cry.
Literally. It's been a really good, but LONG week. Let me tell you, God was definitely correct when he planned to give his missionaries a preparation day every seven days. My goodness. Yesterday all three of us were just not having it. We were all moody and just done with missionary work haha. It was quite funny. We definitely were ready for today. Not to mention I just got done with a 2 hour full body massage. Kind of feeling on top of the world at the moment. We have a member in our ward who is from the Philippines and she is a massage therapist. We decided to trade some service for a massage. Best idea ever. It's quite amazing how worn out your body gets on a mission. You just don't have time to take care of it and spoil yourself very often. I think there's a reason girls can only serve for 18 months. Our bodies just can't take it! :)
My Valentine's Day was good... But not the same. Basically called it Independence Day haha. We had a good church service and I had to play a special musical number, so that was fun. Another miracle story there. I got asked to play in sacrament meeting and accompany 3 ladies singing. Well, I gladly accepted, not knowing beforehand what I was getting myself into. When they brought me the music, the first half of the song had 6 flats, and the second half of the song switched to 5 sharps. Oh my gosh I about died. I almost gave it back and was like "nope, can't do that haha." After a lot of prayers.. I managed to pull it off. I'm loving this give of music I've been given lately. God's really helping me out. :) It ended up going really well and I felt super good about it. Then my two companions and I got to be in primary and do singing time and sharing time while the teachers had a special conference thing. That was pretty fun. I have a whole new respect for primary teachers and leaders. My goodness. It was overwhelming. My ward here has 162 primary kids though so that also didn't help the cause. It kind of reminded me of my home ward in Highland. Lots of kiddos! We had a great dinner that night with some of my favorite members! We taught a few lessons and stopped by some houses to drop off cute little Valentine gifts and then it started snowing really really bad and they don't let us drive the mission cars so we ended up spending the rest of the night in our apartment. Which let me expand on that one too. It was raining ice. Literally. They call it freezing rain here. It was absolutely insane. It's not hail, it's like legit frozen rain. It was intense. Overall the day was good, just another day haha.I was definitely thinking about all of you back at home though. :) And... Dad was my Valentine so that was special.
Let's see, this week we were able to accomplish a lot. We met a lot of great people with lots of potential. I love when we find new investigators. It makes the work so much better when we actually have a teaching pool and have people to teach. We are still working with a few of the regulars that I've talked about the past few weeks, but we STILL haven't been able to get them to come to church. I don't know why it's so hard for people. But, it just is. I had a really neat spiritual experience with our investigator James this past week that I wanted to share with ya! We went over to his house with the plan to read in the Book of Mormon with him, since he is having a hard time reading on his own. When we got there and started talking to him, I felt really impressed to go a different direction and share the Mormon message called "Hope of God's light" with him. Sometimes I really hesitate doing something that we don't plan because I never know what my companions may be thinking or feeling, but this time I didn't care, I just went for it. If the spirit told me to do it, I was going to do it. So I pulled out my iPad and told him that we wanted to share a special video with him. As he began to watch it, he started to tear up and the spirit flooded the room. We all felt it so strongly. It was as if the Savior was in the room with us. After we showed the video he was silent and in deep thought. We left on a really spiritual high and I know without a doubt that he is ready to turn his life around. He's been struggling with the word of wisdom and having a hard time that God even exists, and I know this touched him. I walked out feeling so good and so grateful that I followed the prompting of the spirit.
We have also been working with a girl named Angie. She is a referral from a less active member and she is just in the prime time of life. She is 24 and is looking for more peace and purpose in her life.
Hello, Gospel! We have had some really neat experiences with her and I know she has definitely felt the spirit. Something I really noticed this week was the significance of the spirit.
I was reading in doctrine and covenants 50: 13-14, 17-22 and I love how it talks about how we have been called to preach the Gospel by the spirit, and if it be not the spirit, then it won't be any other way. I really liked verse 22 which says, "Wherefore, he that preacheth (me, the missionary) and he that receiveth (investigator), understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." In a few of our lessons this week I felt the spirit so strongly and it really just hit me that if I feel the spirit and it's in the room, than the investigator can feel it also. In other words, when we are teaching we know if we feel the spirit, they will feel it as well. They may not understand the feelings at that time, but I know they feel it. This is how missionary work gets done. I need to learn to embrace these verses in D&C and open my mouth at all times in all places. My investigators might not end up getting baptized in the end, but I know it'll bless me personally and I will learn and grow from being courageous, and will have these experiences to look back on for the rest of my life. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost and the wonderful gift that He is in my life. I read a talk this morning that talked about learning to recognize the gift of the Holy Ghost and how it speaks to you and I have definitely been able to learn more about how he works with me since being on a mission. There is just something about being a missionary. I wish all of you could understand. Although I am far from perfect, I know that as I am constantly trying to improve and remain worthy of the spirit, He will bless me. I have seen it time and time again. I am so grateful for the spirit. It's interesting to think that out of ALL of the gifts or things that Heavenly Father could give us after we were baptized, he chose to give us the gift of the Holy Ghost. Think about that. He could've given us ANYTHING, and that is what he chose.
We were teaching a recent convert/less active yesterday and we're talking a lot about the spirit. She was talking about the great blessing it's been in her life and brought up a really good point. She mentioned that it's the one part of the church and gospel that she can have with her at all times, in all things, and in all places. I really thought about that and it made perfect sense. We may not always be able to attend church every single week, or we may not always be able to surround ourselves with good LDS people, or we may not always feel worthy to be a member of the church, but those of us who have been baptized have all been given the gift of the Holy Ghost, which can dwell with us ALWAYS. It's the one thing that will stay with you forever and ever and ever. And all you have to do is remain worthy of it. Even if you get off the path a little bit and slip up, all you need to do is repent, come unto him, and he has promised that you can have it again. What a beautiful blessing and a beautiful manifestation of the Savior's love for each one of us. Oh how I love and adore him.
Since Sister Cottis and I got put together, we have been praying for a miracle family. Well, we finally got to meet that miracle family. We were able to teach them in a members home and it was just the greatest thing ever. The little boy's name is Jacob and he is 7 years old. He will be getting baptized in April. His mom and step dad are taking the discussions with them and I am praying with all of my heart that they accept the message and get baptized with him as well. Jacob has been going to church with his grandparents for 7 years and knows that it's the true church. He just LOVES it and eats it up. He keeps telling his mom and step dad that their church is wrong and that he KNOWS that Joseph Smith restored the true church. It's the cutest thing in the entire world. I wish you could meet him. He is so smart and is just so excited to get baptized. All he keeps saying over and over again is that he wants his mom and step dad to get baptized with him. How precious is that? Ah! Seriously, it's killing me. He will be considered a convert baptism since his parents aren't members, so I am really hoping that I get to stay in the area so I can be there! He is also reminding me so much of my sweet Kenna Grace, whom I miss so very much. It's just amazing how smart these little children are. I am amazed. We are also teaching another 8 year old girl named Selene, and she is getting baptized on March 12. Children are perfect. There is no doubt in my mind that God loves the little children and weeps over them. I know without a doubt he loves the little children. I am so grateful for the experiences that I've had to be able to work with little children. I cannot wait for my own! Okay, maybe a little while, but still. They are just such a blessing & joy.
I am really getting along with my 2 companions and couldn't be happier. I love them both so much. Sister Corrigan goes home this transfer, (Feb. 29) and then we will be back to two. It's been really fun being in a trio and I'm definitely going to miss it. I have missed my one on one time with Sister Cottis, but we are still having our moments alone and I just love the girl to death. I know I say that every week, but we are literally best friends. I cannot wait until we are both home and can hang out. We already have so many trips planned and things to do, so just be ready for us. We are the dynamic duo. We are still on our crazy exercise kick and last Fast Sunday we started a
40 day fast from sugar with the elders, so that's been good for us. :) We are working on trying to be more fit and healthy... Since your mission really does wreck your body, as I mentioned earlier.
Let's see, I really don't have much more to report on, and we've gotta get going. Between my massage and shopping today, we're about out of time! So so sorry! I hate not having enough time to email haha. I will repent next week. I am healthy, happy, and doing well. Sleeping like a baby, eating good, I have enough clothes to wear, my hair is now below my bottom (Mom, it is SO long. It's never been longer in my life) So I am getting a haircut from a member on Thursday and I'm kind of nervous. What else, we have great members in this ward, I think I'll stay for at least one more transfer, I'm hoping two more so I can stay until Sister Cottis goes home. The weather here is bipolar, so it goes from freezing, to 60 degrees. So that's been throwing me off. I really am doing great and just love being a missionary. I can't complain about a single thing. All is well and life is good. All I need is y'all right by my side. :) Then I will be perfect. Tonight we get to go have dinner at the old folks home that we do service at once a week and I'm super excited for that. It's family night over there so all of the residents families are coming over and having dinner! The theme is Mardi Gras so we get to wear some fancy jewelry and crowns and such. It should be a good night. :) I am excited.
I hope each one of you are doing well. I hope you know how much I love you and how grateful I am for each one of you. I couldn't do this without you. I know that this is Christ's work and I know that there is nothing greater that we can do than share our testimonies of the Gospel with the world. I am so grateful for this opportunity that I have had to serve and cannot wait to see what the next few months brings me. I want you to know that I know that God lives. He loves each and every one of you. He knows what you are going through. He knows best. He knows what you need and when you need it. Trust him and trust in his timing. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but try it. Turn yourself over to him and follow his will and his plan. I am so grateful for the chance that I've had to serve the people here and to experience a change of heart. I am a converted soul to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I am not ashamed to share what I know and what I believe. I hope you can continue to do what is right. Stick to the basics, it will bring you the most happiness. :) I hope you all have a wonderful week this week. Remember who you are and remember that there is a Sister in North Carolina who is thinking about you, who loves you, and who is praying for you!! Please let me know if there is ever anything that I can do for any of you. Have a fantastic week! Talk to ya in six! Not seven! Yay!! Xo

Sister Ky Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment